Wednesday, March 3, 2010

KZ400 Land-Speed bike

This is my '75 Kawasaki KZ400:

I got this from my buddy Rock for free. He's got an expanding stable of bikes and knew I was looking for something to play with. He said, "You can have my KZ400. Do whatever you want with it, but if you decide to sell it, make sure you offer to sell it back to me first."

At first I was simply going to give it a tune up and use it as a commuter. I'd pick up another bike for my land speed racing(LSR) exploits. As my LSR dreams came to the front burner, I realized I've got way too many projects and not enough space for another bike. I decided to work with what I've got. The first plan was to use the FeiYing scooter to go after the 125cc speed records at The Maxton Mile. Then I read a rule that all motorcycles must have a minimum of 15" diameter wheels. The scooter only has 10" wheels. Hmmm... So I checked the records held at Maxton by the East Coast Timing Association. The 400cc class looked to have a vulnerable record of 116mph for a 400cc bike in the Modified class. I said to myself, "Self, I bet you could get that KZ400 to hit 116mph!" So I hit Google and eBay and Craigslist, formulated a plan, and started collecting parts. The plan is to build a Megasquirt DIY Electronic Fuel Injection system and throw in a small turbocharger for giggles.

Parts collected:
Megasquirt1 v.2.2 MS1/extra EFI computer - eBay score. $168.50(assembled)
Throttle Body - Suzuki Burgman TB and injectors. $43.00
Turbo - KKK Turbo, probably a K04 but I'm unsure. $114.25

The turbo is too big for this application (eBay impulse buy) and will be sold to finance a smaller turbo (RHB3, TD02, GT12, etc).

Megasquirt:

Throttle Body:

Photobucket

Turbo:

kkk turbo turbocharger

Stay Tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment